Pages

Friday 29 December 2017

SLJ WK2 Day 4 Activity 1, 2 & 3

WWII was made up of many battles and events. Follow this link to read more about the timeline of WWII.

Choose two key events and find out some more information about what happened on those days. On your blog, write a short summary of two events, including the names of people involved and where the event happened.

Event 1: Canada declared war on Germany
During 1939, 10 September Canada declared war on Germany. Britain declaration of war did not automatically commit Canada, as had been the case in 1914. But there there was never serious response; the government and people united in support of Britain and France


Image result for germany invades poland

Event 2: Air Raids on Australia
During February 1942 and November 1943, Australia were attacked 97 times by the Japanese Air Navy. This event left at least 235 or more people dead.




SLJ Activity 2:A call to Arms

Over the course of WWII, approximately 140,000 New Zealanders were sent overseas to serve in the war. Many were sent to fight in huge battles, including the Battle of the Atlantic that lasted for 2064 days (over 5 years)! The Battle of the Atlantic came to an end in 1943, in large part due to the heroic efforts of people like Lloyd Trigg, a pilot from New Zealand. He was awarded a special medal from the New Zealand Government for his bravery. It is called a Victoria Cross (‘VC’ for short). A total of 22 New Zealanders have been awarded VCs.

Click on this link to find a list of VC winners. Choose one from the Second World War, and read about him. On your blog tell us about him. Who was he? What did he do to earn a Victoria Cross medal?

Henry Nicholas
After already earning his Military Medal (MM) for bravery, he earned his VC for single handedly attacking a German strong point. Using hand grenades and a bayonet, he overcame the enemy garrison killing 12 Germans and capturing another four.

Henry Nicholas


SLJ Activity 3: Women at Work

Both men and women served in World War II. Many women chose to enlist as nurses and be stationed overseas caring for wounded soldiers. My nana was one of those nurses. She (Dorothy) spent much of World War II working on a large Red Cross ship that was stationed off the coast of Cairo, Egypt.   

For this activity, you are going to imagine that you are just like Dorothy and that you are working as a nurse on a large medical ship.

One day you are walking along the deck of the ship when you hear a loud bang. You start to run as you see smoke coming from the far end of the ship. You run towards the room where your patients are waiting to receive treatment from the doctor. Just as you arrive at the door to their room you hear another loud bang and you…

Complete the story provided above. To earn full points you must write, at least, 8-10 sentences. What happens next?

Pee a little bit in your pants. As the loud bangs continue I get more and more scared. I put my fear behind and try to get help for the patients. For I cannot do it by myself. I run down the ship as I see more more injured people. It seems like there was a country attacking the ship. I saw soldiers attacking my people and bombing the ship. I grabbed as much weapons as I could and went around the ship looking my fellow nurses when a group of soldiers came running at my direction. "Come on! We need to look for all of their weapons and there food supplies" I immediately start shooting because all of the weapons and food supplies are all we have. If it gets into their hands then we have nothing to take back to our country. We will suffer. SO I continue to shoot until of them have been eliminated. I run into a room where I find my fellow nurses and my countries soldiers. "Guys! We need help in the patient's room! and we need to gather all of the injured" We gathered them all and took care of the bombing. The other country retreated and left. We were glad that no one had been badly injured and glad that we all out alive. I told them about their plans and we were ready in case of another attack.


Image result for world war two nurses

2 comments:

  1. Hi Telesia,

    I'm so glad that you've chosen to participate in the Summer Learning Journey!!

    I'm reading your blog from Canada where we're in the midst of a very cold winter while you are starting your summer holidays.

    You worked hard to complete these activities - good for you! My father and my husband's father both served in the Canadian Airforce during World War II so I have heard stories from them about their war experiences. There were a number of very brave men and women who participated in the different defense services like the man you researched, Henry Nicholas.

    Your continuation of the story about the nurse seeing smoke rising up from the other end of the hospital ship was very creative. Wouldn't it be frightening to actually be in that situation? We're very lucky to live in peaceful counties, aren't we?

    Keep up your good work. I'll look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Telesia,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working on these activities. Well done!

    Activity 1: Those are great events to have chosen for this activity! They were both very important in the story of the war. How does it make you feel that the war got so close to New Zealand? It makes me feel upset but also relieved that we didn't get bombed!

    Activity 2: Wow! What a hero! I think that medal was well deserved if that's what he managed to do. How incredible! Can you give us some information about what a German stronghold is? That would be great information for your readers!

    Bonus activity: That's a great ending to the story. Well done! It would have been very stressful to be on one of those ships. I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the nurses!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.