Pages

Friday 29 December 2017

SLJ WK 2 Day 5 Activity 1, 2 & 3

SLJ Activity 1:VE Day

After six long years of fighting, World War II finally came to an end in 1945. The entire country was ecstatic and parties were thrown all over New Zealand to celebrate VE Day (Victory in Europe). Imagine that you were living in New Zealand in 1945 and you had to plan a VE day party at your house. Who would you invite? What would you do to celebrate?

On your blog, tell us all about your (imaginary) VE party. If it was me, I would invite all of my closest friends and family over to my house for a big barbecue. We would eat hamburgers and play basketball in the driveway. Some of us would probably walk to the local beach to play soccer on the beach and to go for a swim (if the weather was warm enough)!

I would invite a few of my friends and all of my family. When my family celebrates anything special we have huge feast including our Tongan Traditional food. I would also watch a funny PG movie and then end the day.


SLJ Activity 2:Making a fashion statement

In the years following World War II, things slowly returned to normal in New Zealand. Soldiers returned home and settled back into regular life; and national sporting teams, like the New Zealand cricket team, got back together and started playing matches again. In the late 1940s, men and women would go to watch these events, men wearing hats and suits and women wearing dresses, hats, and gloves.

Compare the pictures of common clothing from the late 1940s to what you wear now (i.e. in 2017). Are they similar or are they quite different?

On your blog tell us which of the two styles you prefer and why. The pictures above were taken over 65 years ago! What do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now?

Image result for clothes




I'd rather prefer these clothes for they are more comfortable to wear. I reckon that clothes 65 years from now  would be metal. Well what I am trying to say is 65 years from now the earth would be invaded by robots. :)

SLJ Activity 3:Sweet tooth

When World War II ended, a number of people from Europe moved to New Zealand looking for a peaceful place to live and raise a family. When they came, they brought recipes and foods from their native countries with them, including hamburgers, pizza and other delicious foods.

I usually have a chocolate chip cookie with my tea. I love biscuits! What is your favourite sweet treat or dessert? Use google to find a recipe for it. Type the recipe out on your blog. Make sure you also include a picture.

I am going with the classic Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
¾ cup water
2 cups Chelsea White Sugar
1¾ cups plain flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
1¼ cups milk (or Rice/Soya Milk)
½ cup sunflower or soya oil


Utensils:
Measuring Cup
Cake Tray
Mixing spoon

Instructions/Method

    1.  Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 23-25cm cake tin with baking paper.
    2.  Dissolve the coffee granules in water, then place all ingredients into a food processor and process until well combined and smooth.
    3.  Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. 
    4.  Cool on a wire rack and when completely cold, ice with either Chelsea Chocolate Icing Sugar or make your favourite with Chelsea Icing Sugar.

    Note: This is a very runny mixture - don't be alarmed the first time you make it.

Image result for how to make chocolate cake

3 comments:

  1. Talofa lava Telesia!,
    Im so glad your doing the summer learning journey,I can see your trying hard.I really enjoyed your work especially the fashion statement and the recipe for a delicious cake.Maybe someday I will try the recipe !.Well,Keep up the good work!

    - Nitaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    Thank you for your very lovely comment. The cake recipe I have put out looks very delicious doesn't it? I hope you try it out one day. Thank YOU!

    Telesia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Telesia,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to be reading another one of your activities. Well done!

    Activity 1: That sounds like a great way to celebrate! Bringing all your family and friends around would feel great after such a long time of war. People wouldn't have been watching movies to celebrate in the 1940s but we definitely would today. What is one of your favourite movies.
    My Grandpa remembers driving around town on VE day, sitting on the back of his dads car and waving a flag. He says it was a very happy day for everyone!

    Activity 2: Clothes today do look as though they would be much more comfortable. I think the clothes they wore in the 1940s are beautiful but definitely not comfortable.
    How interesting that you think the world will be taken over by robots in another 65 years! Where will the robots come from, I wonder?

    Bonus activity: Yum! Chocolate cake is delicious. It's great that you have given us a recipe so that we can try it! What sort of icing do you like most on your chocolate cake? I like chocolate icing but I also sometimes put mint flavoured icing on my cakes as well. I love the combination of mint and chocolate.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.