Pages

Thursday 13 July 2017

Day #6: Native Aotearoa



Day 6!
Welcome to Day #6 of your journey and the last day in the south island. You are going to start the day by traveling 63 km north up State Highway 1 from Dunedin to a place called ‘Shag Point.’ Shag Point is one of five places in the south island where the Maori arrived hundreds of years ago to settle in New Zealand. They arrived at Shag Point in large canoes called ‘wakas.’ For more information on Shag Point and other Maori landing places, go to the Waka landing places website.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\NZ Map - Schematic.png




http://www.kiwidaydreaming.com/p/new-zealand-maps.html
Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…


Poem
Wow! Look at this place
You can see all the trees and the lovely nature
But also, its new so I feel like i’m in danger
I love all the trees and the beautiful flowing water
You can swim in water as you get hotter and hotter
I am really excited to see what else is new
I’m just looking at the water it's so nice and blue
Also worried and nervous of the creatures out there
Is there a lion?, is there a rhino or is a ferocious huge bear
This place is giving me spooky thoughts

Please oh please make this be a beautiful home for us. :)
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Waka picture.jpg
Activity 2: After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
Read about the Matariki festival at Te Papa.  There are so many different things to see and do at the festival this year. On your blog, tell us about three of the events. You can choose any three events that you wish.
3 Activities
Star Weave Jam - This event is when everyone collaborates with each other and help to create 1 million stars before July 2017. These stars are being used in an installation at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
Matariki Lecture - This is basically just a guy that has researched Matariki for over 20 years now and he will be sharing a Maori perspective on the astronomical and cosmological link relevant to Matariki. The guys name is Professor Dr Rangi Mataamua
Heaven and Earth - Based and formed around Matariki, Maori New Year, Heaven and Earth transports its audience to a world beyond. Talented cast members will use black lights along with small and large scale puppets to tell this amazing story.

Sadly I have never been to any of these events and hope that one day I will.


Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺
Number one was my least favourite. Look, I had choose one and this is the one. I picked up a few mistakes and made it my least favourite. Obviously I had to play the video over and over again so i’d find those.

#2. All Blacks vs South Africa 2016
Number 2 was my favourite. It looked so good from all angles. They were all in synch and they did such a great job performing the haka.
Last of all, this one was an ok haka. It wasn’t bad and it wasn’t great, it was good. Again they did wonderful.
At the end of your day at Te Papa, you head to your hotel in the centre of Wellington. You are staying on Cuba Street, one of the coolest streets in the city.


Bonus Activity: 8 points

11 comments:

  1. Heyyoo Sia,

    Your poem is amazing. I liked how its long but interesting. You have also put lots of information
    into your activities. Keep up the amazing work!

    - DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Db,

    Thanks for your positive and lovely comment. I'm looking forward to checking your blog. Once again thanks YOU :)

    Telesia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talofa Telesia,

    Thankyou for sharing your work for Day 6 activities. I was so inspired reading your poem. It's Outstanding! You wrote a creative poem that expressed so much about your personal experience. Ka Pai!

    I am overwhelmed with the amount of research you have been doing to learn about the Matariki festival and the All Blacks Haka. It's great to see that you are also blogging with other students, providing supportive feedback to improve their learning.

    You are going to make a great leader one day. I am so so proud of you Telesia.

    Goodluck on the rest of your Journey exploring New Zealand. You are going to have so much fun!

    Kia Kaha,

    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacinta,

    I am so happy that you have enjoyed my blog post. I am having so much especially learning new things everyday. Thank You for commenting.

    Regards,
    Telesia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Telesia,

    I'm happy to see that you are having so much fun. That's great. I also noticed you have been giving good positive feedback towards other students in the WLJ programme. I'm so proud of you Telesia.

    Keep it up!

    Best wishes,

    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacinta,

      Yes, I love giving positive feedback to my class mates and other people from my school. It encourages them to blog more and express there learning to the world and everyone. Thank you for viewing and commenting

      Regards,
      Telesia

      Delete
  7. Hi Telesia,
    I really enjoyed your blog post,It was very thrilling.I mostly enjoyed reading your poem! It was really impressive!

    -I see a winner!!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola Sia,

    Great work today!. I especially loved reading your detailed poem!, very interesting. Your haka ratings are spot on, I slightly agree. Out of the three events, which event would you visit?. I would visit the Star weave jam!. It sounds interesting. Great job.

    Kind regards,
    Luisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salaam Sia,

    This Blog post is really great to see because you explained why this is.... and why that is.....!!. I mean, you learned a lot through the weeks and Days!. I can't wait to see more Blog posts up your Blogging Profile because I want to read this over and over again :)). Good Job Sia on this WLJ Day 6!

    Kind Regards,
    Anastacia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aloha Sia,

    I love the events you have picked, it is very interesting! Have you every been to Wellington and attended those events or any other apart of Matariki?
    Also, do you have an inspiration for writing? I loved you poem, it's filled with details.

    Hope to see you continuously blogging! Keep it up!

    Yours Sincerely,
    Nahnah :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.