Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

SLJ WK 1 Day 4 Activity 1,2 & 3

SLJ - Activity 1: The waiata - A song in your heart

In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?


I like Tiaho Mai Ra because the lyrics are really beautiful.
Have a look for yourself, don't you agree?

Tiaho mai rā
Te whetu o te ata
Kopu i te ao,
Pareārau i te pō
Ka tu te ao marama
he ao hara
Tu mai rā koe hei tohu i ahau,
Tu mai rā koe hei tohu i ahau,
E kore te aroha,
E kaupare noa
Hoki mai rā ki ahau, e te tau.
Hoki mai rā ki ahau, e te tau.

Tiaho mai rā
Te whetu o te ata
Kopu i te ao,
Pareārau i te pō
Ka tu he o marama
he ahara
Tu mai rā koe hei tohu i ahau,
Tu mai rā koe hei tohu i ahau
Shining over there
Is the morning star
Venus in the dawn,
Saturn in the night
The full moon is rising
Above a sinful world
You rise up there as a sign to me
You rise up there as a sign to me...

...that love does not
Randomly turn away.
Come back to me my darling
Come back to me my darling

Shining over there
Is the morning star
Venus in the dawn,
Saturn in the night
The full moon is rising a
Above a sinful world
You rise up there as a sign to me
You rise up there as a sign to me.  


SLJ - Activity 2: Playing games

Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.


You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

Name of game: Poi rakau

Purpose of game: Catch the Stick

Rules: You cannot dig the stick/raku into the ground and you cannot purposely throw the stick away

SLJ - Activty 3: Musical festivals - Matatini

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

1st: Tamatea Arikinui

I loved this one because the skills that they had with the poi's were amazing.Their voices were like angels.

2nd: Te iti kahurangi

I put Te iti in 2nd place because I liked their outfits.They sang beautifully along with their swaying.

3rd: Te puku o Te ika

I found this one very sad and depressing, which I didn't really like. So that is why I put it in 3rd place. But they did do an amazing job


1 comment:

  1. Hi Telesia,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you have been working on these activities. Keep up the good work! :)

    Activity 1: Tiaho Mai Ra is a great waiata. It's one I always enjoy. The lyrics are really beautiful as well. What message do you think they are trying to say?

    Activity 2: Good work! Poi Rakau is a great game. You've done a great job of explaining it. Anyone who is reading your blog will be able to know how to play it! Have you played it before? I have and I always enjoy it.

    Bonus activity: Well done. You've told us about why each song has been put where it is rather well. I put Te Puku o Te Ika in first place because I loved how sad it is. It would be great to hear some more of your thoughts about each song.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.